Friday, May 4, 2012

To Bath or To Rest

In the past few months it has become my habit to rest after training before taking a bath. Usually, I prepare my breakfast and smoothie while resting. That gives me about half an hour to rest. However, with the increase in training load and God forbid, early class schedules next semester, I wonder if I could still rest.

In college, my PE professor told me that taking cold shower after workout is okay. He also added that it helps reduce muscle soreness. But hey, I took my PE1 a decade ago! And in the world where we live, nothing is constant but change. So I decided to check with my best friend – Google of the recent studies on this subject.

Here is what I found out...

Cold water allows your skin pores to close making you sweat less after you shower. It also alleviates muscle pain. This is because cold water or ice reduces the sensitivity of your body's nerve endings. It also causes the blood vessels of your muscles to contract, thus preventing swelling in the damaged area.

On the other hand, hot water encourages blood vessels to expand. This allows more blood to reach the sore areas. Thus, it removes the lactic acid causing pain and replenishes the muscle.

Moreover, resting after the workout has no medical benefits. It only allows the body temperature to adjust and sweating eventually slows down.

To take a bath (whether it’s cold or hot) or to rest, it depends on your preference I guess. As long as you don’t mind that sticky after feel in your skin, then rest for as long as you want. =))


References:

Cespedes, A. (October 2011). What are the Benefits of Taking a Cold Bath After a Workout. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/547172-what-are-the-benefits-of-taking-a-cold-bath-after-a-workout/. Retrieved on May 4, 2012.

Petros, R. (May 2011). Bath Relief for Sore Muscles After a Workout. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/article/369347-bath-relief-for-sore-muscles-after-a-workout/. Retrieved on May 4, 2012.

Quinn, E. (March 2011) 10 Ways to Recover Quickly After Exercise. Retrieved from http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/sampleworkouts/a/After-Exercise.htm. Retrieved on May 4, 2012.