Tuesday, July 31, 2012

36th National Milo Marathon (Manila Leg)


Exactly one month ago, I met up with my good friend Belle at BGC to register for the 36th Milo Marathon (Manila Leg). I was really apprehensive about the idea of running 21k. For one, I have only been running for barely eight months and I thought it was too soon to take longer than 10k. But since Belle and I have always wanted to run together, we wanted it to be something special. Hence, we resolved to the idea of braving 21k.

Although apprehensive due to the lack of rigid training, I travelled to Mania all the way from Cabanatuan after my first class in post-grad. (Yay, I skipped my second class.) I slept the whole time I was in the bus. I needed all the rest I could get to condition my body.

I got to Manila at 2:00 pm. But due to the unbearable traffic along EDSA, it took me 2 hours to reach Harrison Plaza where Belle and I were supposed to meet. I was anxious and at the same time very tired. All I wanted to do was sleep. So when Belle and I reached her place, we immediately hit the sack. We slept for several hours but had to wake up to hydrate around 8:00 pm. After a little chit chat, we tried to get some more sleep.

At 1:00 am, we were on our way to MOA. It was about 3-kilometer walk from her place. While walking, Belle and I barely talked. I was praying – praying hard. I needed that. At one point my heart would start to race and I couldn’t understand how I felt. I badly wanted to calm my heart and mind.

When we got to MOA, we saw Jules, a former fellow teacher at SMWS. We wished him luck for his third full marathon and headed to Mc Donalds where KB was waiting. It was about an hour before the gunstart for 42k. I could feel the energy released by every runner. Everyone seemed so excited. I heard some of them were running 42k for the first time. Wow! I could only wish for that, I thought to myself. Few minutes before the gunstart for 42k, KB and company left. Meanwhile, Belle and I stayed at Mc Donalds for some time.

Thirty minutes before the gunstart for 21k, Belle and I decided to go to the baggage area to leave our things. Again, we barely talked. I was so anxious. But I reminded myself, there was no turning back.

When the 21k runners were asked to go to the Start/Finish Area, in an instant the place was packed by bodies eager to run. Some were first time half-mary runners like me while most were veteran half-mary runners. Before the gunstart went off, Belle held my hand tight. “For the medal”, she said. I smiled at her and said reiterated what she said as we walked our way through the electric timing mats at the Start Area.

We started with a fast but controlled pace. We took shorter but faster strides. Our goal was to reach 10k at 1:10. Although still full of apprehensions, I knew we would make it. Belle and I ran next to each other. From time to time she would check on me.

From Sea Side Blvd, we passed by Diosdado Macapagal Blvd to Roxas Blvd. When we reached the first U-Turn at Corner Katigbak, I couldn’t help but smile. I knew it was still a long way to go but positive energy was starting to sink in. We ran along Roxas Blvd and stopped by every hydrating station.

Belle and I succeeded in reaching the 10k at 1:10. However, I knew my energy was starting to go down. At some point I would slow down but Belle would signal me to push harder. I was so thankful she was there to motivate and push me hard. Had I been running alone in that race, I wouldn’t know what could have happened.

At 10k it was time to use Galloway’s technique. It was time to take walk breaks for I was starting to feel 10 pounds heavier. I was starting to be on “Oh-my-paging-Coach Ricky” mode. Belle was ahead of me most of the time. But I knew if pushed harder I might not reach the finish line. So I tried to be kind to my body.

At 16k, Belle was out my sight. It started to run solo. And since I didn’t wear watch, I began counting in my head to make sure I didn’t take too much walk breaks. I knew I was tired and I felt so heavy but I had to remind myself there was no turning back. I tried to think of happy thoughts as what Coach Ricky taught me.

When I reached the 19k marker, I was literally thinking of “HAPPY THOUGHTS”. I knew I was about to hit the wall. How I wished Coach Ricky was there to encourage me and lift my spirit. Suddenly, my thoughts were interrupted by a heavy rain! Oh gawd!!!

Although I was not trained to run under the rain, it was something my body welcomed. Somehow it relaxed my body. All I worry though was my contact lenses. I squinted most of the time to make sure my contact lenses stayed in place.

When I reached Seaside Blvd, somehow I my energy level somehow went up. I kept reminding myself that Finish Line was just few hundred meters away. I passed by several photographers who gave me more reasons to smile. There were also onlookers who continuously cheered for the runners.

Not long after, I reached the electric mat at the Finish Line. When I looked up, timer showed 2:46:47. It was 16:47 short for the cut off time. Although I missed the Finisher’s Medal, I was still happy at the result of my first 21k run. Belle assured me it was a good time.

The whole experience was indescribable. I felt happy and proud of myself for fishing my first half-mary. But at the same time I was humbled by the whole experience. I learned many lessons from Belle and the other runners which could help me in my next races. I also felt indebted to her for motivating and pushing me hard. Had there been no Belle in the picture, I wouldn’t survive my first half-mary or maybe I wouldn’t even brave my first 21k this soon.