Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rude Awakening

This morning, I was awakened by an excruciating pain on my right calf. I lay still on my bed until the pain was gone. It lasted for about 5 seconds.

When I was in college nocturnal leg cramps was a normal event at night – an unbearable pain that ruins a good night’s sleep. When I asked the university nurse she told me it could be due to being overweight and standing and sitting for a long time. I accepted her answer and never bothered to validate it.

When I got older and somehow shed off few pounds, nocturnal leg cramps became a thing in the past until the unfriendly visitor woke me up this morning. I wonder what caused it for I am way lighter now than 10 years ago. While lying still on my bed, I made a mental note to read about nocturnal cramps.

So here is what I found out.

Nocturnal leg cramps are true cramps and not spasms. The muscle remains in a cramped and contracted position, which accounts for the intensity of the pain. Sometime though, it can happen in the thigh or the foot. These painful cramps can last a few seconds to a few minutes.

What causes nocturnal leg cramps?
Here are some of the things that may cause nocturnal leg cramps:

> Getting too much  exercise. (Ooops, guilty sometimes...)

> Standing on concrete for a long time, sitting for a long time, or putting your legs in awkward positions while you sleep.

> Not having enough potassium, calcium, and other minerals in your blood.

> Being dehydrated.

> Taking certain medicines, such as antipsychotics, birth control pills, diurertics, statins,  and steroids.

> Having flat feet. (Yay, I am.)

> Having thyroid disease.

How can you prevent them?
Although experts don’t exactly know the cause of nocturnal cramps, one can keep away from it. These tips might help avoid nocturnal leg cramps:

> Drink plenty of water and other fluids during the day.

> Limit or avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine.

> Eat foods that are rich in calcium, potassium, and magnesium.

> Ride a stationary bike to condition and stretch your muscles.

> Stretch your leg muscles for a few minutes before you go to bed.

> If nocturnal leg cramps seem to bother you, consult your doctor for he may prescribe medicines that calm leg nerves or relax the muscles.

References:
Hirshkowitz, M and Smith, P. Nocturnal Leg Cramps: Night-time Calf Muscle Pain. Retrieved from http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/nocturnal-leg-cramps-nighttime-calf-muscle-pain.html

Mayo Clinic. Night Leg Cramps. Retrieved from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/night-leg-cramps/MY00410

Katz, D. What's up with nighttime calf cramping? http://www.oprah.com/health/Calf-Cramps-The-Causes-of-Nighttime-Leg-Pain

What Causes Nocturnal Leg Cramps. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-nocturnal-leg-cramps.htm