Sunday, February 5, 2012

CabanaTakbuhan 2012

I got off from bed at 3:00 am. This time I was no longer the excited-ka-teh-aga-mo-nagising but more of kailangan-mo-ng-tulog-teh-para-madami-kang-energy. I thought I should be more concerned on how I could conserve my energy to ensure I still have it until the end of the race.

Like in the previous run, I had a light breakfast composed of a glass of milk, banana, and pandesal with peanut butter filling. I skipped bringing water for I was sure there would be hydrating stations. 

When I got to Plaza Lucero, there were already few runners stretching, while others were jogging around the area. In an instant, I felt the excitement within started to build up. I joined few ladies in stretching and tried to start small talks. I was alone again today but was more confident and excited to make new friends. I roam around the area and saw familiar faces. Those were the same faces I saw during Kapitan Pepe Fun Run. I smiled and greeted them and they also did the same. I also saw fellow employees from the university where I work and managed to have our photos taken before the race started.

The brightly lit area was soon packed with runners. The heightened energy could be instantly felt by anyone. It was as if each individual in Plaza Lucero became a channel of energy. And to be honest, it was of one of things I look forward to. Sometimes I would like to believe that I was an athlete in my past life – a runner to be exact for I do not only find happiness in running but most importantly, inner peace.

When the first starting gun fired (for 10k runners), I lined up along with the other runners who seem excited and eager as I am. We waited for about 10 minutes before the second starting gun fired. As soon as I heard it, I ran. I ran like a child. I ran with so much happiness and excitement. Winning the race was not even in my mind. After all only residents of Cabanatuan were qualified to win. I run until I caught myself smiling at everything I see. Some authors called it runner’s high where there was a rush happy hormones that could last for hours.

When I reached the finish line, a bald good looking guy (whom I met at registration booth in our university) gave me a high five. He cheered for me. I felt good. Although I was alone and didn’t have anyone to cheer for me, I felt like everyone cheered for me. It was also something I love about joining fun runs. The whole place is filled with positive energy that somebody else success becomes my own success. Everyone is happy for everyone!

However, I regretted the idea of not keeping track of my running time though. Not again! But since I was too happy to be disheartened, I brushed it off but reminding myself to just take note of it in my next run. After all, I was only after the fun part of it.