Monday, August 27, 2012

Tao lang, nagkakamali rin...

I chanced upon an article online about the common mistakes done by runners during races. And I realized I committed 5 out of 7 in the recent race I joined. Someone’s gonna spank me for being an offender. Tsk. Tsk.


So, here’s the list of the most common mistakes committed by runners [wherein I am guilty of the first five]. =(

Being under-trained. For some time running has become a venue where I release all bottled-up emotions. However, due to uncooperative weather, early class schedule, assignments and paper works in post-grad, and many other excuses, I lack training. But I badly wanted to run. I needed to release the emotions which I have been keeping in the past few weeks – emotions ready to explode any time. I knew that signing up for 10k in Run for Victory means pushing my body beyond what it can do but I just wanted to release everything within to free my heart, mind and soul.   
   
Improper Nutrition. Again, I’m guilty of this. I have been following a low-carb diet in the past few weeks and it’s is a no-no when training. In addition to my offense, I skipped carbo-loading and proper hydration for the recent race. Tsk. Tsk.

Unfocused training. With a lotta things goin on, I just couldn’t keep myself focused. My running log is not even helping. My training schedule is always interrupted by emergency meetings, unfriendly weather and other stuff. As a result, I am unable to follow my program.

Dehydration. Muscle cramps started to say hello at 2.5k. What?! That soon?! Again, another blunder. I didn’t drink enough fluid before the race. Yes, yes, I am aware that dehydration can be detrimental to my performance and health.  

Starting too fast. Coming out under-trained, all I had in Run for Victory was my undaunted courage. Before the race, I asked Mart to help me with my pace. My goal was not to beat my PR in Sandigan Run but to just achieve the same or close it. Mart and I started out slow but gradually the strides became longer and faster. Being under-trained and undernourished, I knew I’d hit the wall before I reach the U-turn. Hence, I decided to slow down at 2.5k and forget about the PR. I ran next to Sir Eric and his companion. I was glad Sir Eric didn’t stop motivating me and ran with me until the end.

Over-training. Okay, I’m under-trained. I’m not guilty of this. Over-training means running consistently faster or farther than our body can handle. Recovery time is necessary.

Wearing new running shoes. Mine’s relatively new but I have used it in training for several times. So again, I’m not guilty of this. Although some runners find it tempting to wear news shoes, but hey, you gotta be ready with blisters and pain. Believe me, been there, done that. *wink*

Run for Victory
Victorious run indeed! In fact, ecstatic and hyper were two adjectives that best describe after the run. Although under-trained and undernourished, I managed to reach the finish line where my students were patiently waiting for me. And Marielle’s big hug came as a bonus!

My PR may be disappointing but it doesn’t matter. I succeeded in tossing away bottled-up emotions and it’s the ulterior goal. As I write this entry, I know there are more tossing up to be done. I just have to hit the ground once again – and this time seriously. In a conversation with a psychologist friend, I remember telling him that running alone is my shield when life’s nastiness strikes – I’m gonna be doing that again. I will reclaim my shield...