Sunday, December 9, 2012

36th Milo Marathon (Finals)



Being the one of the countries longest running event, who wouldn’t want to be part of Milo Marathon? Besides being high up affair, I also find it the most challenging because of the dreaded cut-off time. It seems to be lurking silently somewhere along the route waiting to block someone from getting the most coveted medal. That exactly what happened to me the first time I joined Milo Marathon this year. So after the race I promised myself to be back in December to join the Final leg and get the most sought after medal.

This morning, I once again found myself squeezing in a massive crowd waiting for the gunstart. Everyone seemed thrilled. Some were warming up cautiously so as not to hit the runners beside them because there was literally not much space to stretch their hands and legs. Others on the other hand were smiling at the lenses aimed at them; everyone ought to have pre-race photos where everbody still looked fresh and beautiful. And yay, I was lucky to stand next to Kuya Kim and have our photo taken.

As soon as the gunstart went off the seemingly excited bodies rush off. My friends and I though, had to walk slowly for a few minutes to reach the mat at the start area. Christian agreed to help me with my pace. However I realized he was going too fast. I started fast during RUPM but not that fast. It was barely 1K and I was already running out breath. At KM4, I decided to let go. In an instant Christian was out of my sight. I took a short walk break while eating the cheese Marlon gave me earlier.

I ran solo. And since it would be a hassle to check my iPod for the time, I just counted in my head. I decided it was best to use Galloway. I ran for five minutes and took one minute walk break. I repeated the combination until I reached the first U-Turn in Corner Katigbak. Along the way I ran past Spongebob Runner. Belle mentioned to me before that Spongebob can do sub 2:30. So I thought I could run next to him. After all we almost have the same pace.

I continued to walk and run solo. I noticed a runner few hundred meters away from me hopping like a kangaroo. I thought it was weird but decided to imitate it. I liked it though. I continued counting in my head but did not dare check mg iPod. I didn’t want to see the timer. I gave up the thought of bringing home the most coveted medal when I decided to run solo. All I wanted was to finish the race with no injury.

When I reached the second U-Turn in front of Bay View Tower, I thought I was the happiest. I knew the route – it was the same route in Manila leg – so it meant I needed to cover barely 10K to reach the finish line. I continued running, walking, hopping and from time to time stopping by at the water station to drink a little.

Not long after I could see the finish line. From afar I could see the timer which read 2:30. I knew it was the timer for 10K runners. Sayang was all I could think of. I wouldn’t be able to bring home the medal. Nevertheless, I decided to pour all my remaining energy in my final kick. I ran past some runners. When I crossed the finish line I immediately looked up and the timer read 2:45:06. I was surprised though when the volunteer put on the medal on my neck and another volunteer handed me a certificate. I was somehow confused for I thought the cut off time for 21K was 2:30. Nonetheless, I didn’t bother to ask. I took my loot bag and headed to an open space to cool down.

As I write this entry, I still didn’t know whether the organizers changed the cut-off time for 21K or decided to just give everyone who crossed the finish line a medal. Oh well, it didn’t really matter – I got a medal, I was injury-free, I was able to help Milo with their advocacy, and most importantly, I had fun.